- Will's first amusement park rides, involving boats, cars, planes, and trains. It went fine until he tried to climb out of his moving boat so that he could go on the train ride.
- the pony competition (pictured above)
- the poultry and waterfowl exhibition, which featured some of the most beautiful roosters I have ever seen
- a 'horse whisperer' demonstration
- a greyhound competition
- Will's first showbag (see last year's 'Gone Whaling' post for an explanation): Thomas the Tank Engine
One other highlight was watching someone recite "Bush poetry" for a small crowd of mostly families. A nice country bloke recited these poems without any notes, and both Will and I were spellbound as he spoke. One poem was titled "Don't Get Married Girls." I was quite amused at some of the passages of this one. Keep in mind that there were many kids in the audience, and more were filing in for a sheep shearing demonstration coming up next:
So don't get married, girls, men are all the same
They just use you when they need you, you'll do better on the game
Be a call girl, be a stripper, be a hostess, be a whore
But don't get married, girls, for marriage is a bore
I am certain if someone uttered these same lines in front of a group of children at the state fair in Georgia, there would be quite an outcry from concerned parents. Instead, at the Brisbane Ekka, hearty chuckles filled the room.