Saturday, July 26, 2008

His Last Lecture

I just learned that Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon computer scientist, has died. You might remember that I posted an entry about his ideas on time management a few months back. Since then his "Last Lecture" book has become an international bestseller--I have even seen it at bookstores here in Australia. For months I have been checking his blog as he detailed his fight against pancreatic cancer, including posting the "box scores" of his blood tests. There had been no new entries since the end of June, and it looks like he quickly declined in the last two weeks. Randy was 47, and he leaves behind his wife and three young children. Watching his CMU last lecture was inspiring for me. And, being so close to his age, the slides of his childhood and even some of his dreams were eerily similar to some of my own.

Goodbye, Randy.

No comments: