Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Our Spider

As summer comes to a close in Australia, I am happy to report that we didn't face any scary spiders this year...at least none of the deadly ones. Just above Will's play area in our patio garden, however, an enormous Golden Orb built a web in late November, which she has defended, added on to, and strengthened during the entire season. Here she is close up:


She's about five inches (12.7 cm) long and her web is probably 15 feet (457.2 cm) at the longest point.We haven't interfered with this spider because Golden Orbs are a 'good' spider. In fact, having them around reduces the chances that the deadly spiders (e.g., redbacks) will set up shop. There have been a few times when our spider has tried to extend her web at the height of my head, but that didn't last long. She has stayed there through all sorts of severe weather, including heavy rains and fierce winds. I'll be sad to see her disappear when it grows colder.

2 comments:

Mooselet said...

I'm not a big bug type of person, but I love orb spiders because they keep so many of the nasty ones away (so do huntsmen and daddy long legs). Being on acreage, we have lots of them. I think what kills them off is not so much the cold, but their size. Ours get HUGE and then, one day, they're gone. No doubt some bird's dinner.

The Prof said...

I like those orbs too, Mooselet. The day after I posted this entry, I noticed that "our" orb was gone. Her web was being shredded by the wind, but there were many tiny spiders around. Maybe we'll adopt one of them next summer!