Monday, January 9, 2006

The Penguins Start a New Semester

Tomorrow is the first day of the spring semester. I am teaching three classes--one graduate and two undergraduate courses. We're also expecting our first baby in the next 3-5 weeks, so this is going to be an action-packed month!

Vikki and I watched "March of the Penguins" last night on pay-per-view. What an awesome story! Although we have had to endure more than four months of bedrest (well, actually, V. has, but I provide support), no creature can be more devoted to bringing offspring into the world than the emperor penguin. Is there an animal out there with more parental devotion? And, my gosh, what a weird way for evolution to solve the problem of penguin procreation. Surely, if there were merely just a Divine hand in all this, he or she would have come up with a less miserable way for penguins to have their chicks.

As for me, with the impending birth of our child I am comforted by my iPod, the PT Cruiser, and a new episode of "Gray's Anatomy." And I won't be walking 70 miles for my next meal either...

No comments: